Friday, February 23, 2018

#456 Worm Killer


I am a worm killer.  Or a worm-mutilator.  Let me explain. 

My gym is next door to my office.  Many years ago, our parking garage was a five-minute walk to the gym.  My neck/shoulders gave me fits carrying my gym bag every day, so I invested in a rolling bag.  This practice screams “elderly” but I was in my 30s at the time.  (I don’t care what I look like.  I don’t care that people make fun of my rolling gym bag, or think they are being followed by a skateboarder.  My neck and shoulders thank me and that’s all I care about.)

Even though our current staff garage is a bit closer, I have to walk a good distance from the gym to the other side of my office building, so I still use the rolling bag.  Where do the worms come in?  Stay with me. 

I have an affinity for worms, as they provide a valuable benefit to the soil.  And they seem very friendly.  Occasionally when I see one lying on concrete after the rain has stopped, I will pick it up and put it in the grass/soil so it won’t dry up and die. 

On rainy days when I walk from the gym to the office, there are seemingly hundreds of thin worms along the sidewalk.  I maneuver my bag so as not to roll over any and potentially cut them in half.  I look like an Indiana driver avoiding potholes in February.  And every time I cringe at what damage may be fall the worms.  If I do run over one with my wheel(s), will it regenerate or shrivel up and die? 

An interesting article in the Washington Post explains the rules of worm regeneration.  Whether or not they can regenerate after being cut into two (or more) pieces depends on several things, including the type of worm, and the location and cleanliness of the cut. 

This assuages my fears a tiny bit.  And there are a ton of them, so if I happen to crush one, there are a multitude of his family/friends to carry on the good work. 

Worm Killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est

No comments:

Post a Comment