Tuesday, December 12, 2017

#449 Sing Me Away


At least once during every concert I attend I get a “chill bump moment”, where I hear a song that gives me a certain feeling.  I don’t know how to describe it.  Sometimes I do get chills.  Sometimes I feel euphoric.  Sometimes, inspired.  Sometimes, at peace. 

Last week I saw one of my favorite bands, Night Ranger, at the Old National Center (or Murat for you old-schoolers.)  I lost count of how many times I’ve seen them over the years.  At Rib America, at the Indiana State Fair (they last played there in 2016).  No number is too many times.  I know all their songs and they look like there are having a blast after 35 years, which is contagious. 



Early in the show they played “Sing Me Away”.  Not one of their most well-know songs, but one of my favorites.  I had battled a sinus infection for a week-and-a-half, and was also getting a cough.  As the concert night approached I thought, “Maybe I should stay home.  It’s a school night.  I’m running low on fumes.”  The ticket was only $20, but I do hate to just throw money away.  I sucked it up and went, partly because I like them and partly because Lita Ford was one of the opening bands.  (I had never seen her live, so that was enough to convince me to still go.)  Not to mention I wanted to hang with some friends. 

The song started, and I thought, “Aww, I love this song!”  I also started thinking how music can “sing me/you away” from negativity.  Sing me away from my sinus infection, my cough, my weariness.  As the show continued, I felt more energized.  Watching a bunch of 60-something guys bounce around on stage can do that do you as well. 

My feeling had nothing to do with the actual lyrics (which are very nice).  Songs can have as many different interpretations as there are listeners.  And the next time I hear the song, I may have an even different reaction.  That’s the beauty of music. 

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go sing myself away…from work with a concert replay on Spotify.  

No comments:

Post a Comment