Monday, December 4, 2017

#448 Auburn Trifecta

The one downside to going away to college is that it’s difficult to support their sports teams.  I try to go back to Auburn once a year for a football game and have been fairly successful in doing so.  I’ve hit a handful of women’s basketball games in Lexington over the years, which have been fun road trips with my niece.  Even though she didn’t participate in sports (well, nothing after T-ball), she was a high school manager for soccer and baseball, and is a huge Purdue basketball/football fan and appreciates sport in general. 

This past Wednesday I took a quick after-work road trip to Dayton to watch the Auburn men’s basketball team play the University of Dayton at the Dayton Arena.  My bike buddy Duane lives just outside Dayton, so I picked him up and headed to the game.  He was duly impressed with my behind-the-bench tickets.  That doesn’t always happen, so it was a nice surprise. 


Nice view!

Blurry selfie of Duane and me

Yeah, but ya'll lost to Auburn, so ...
The Auburn men have had some pre-season trials and it was nice to see them come together for a great victory over a solid Dayton team. 


Next up was Saturday’s SEC Championship football game, pitting Auburn against Georgia.  What a difference a week and some injuries make.  It was a long, frustrating game.  It didn’t help I was fighting a sinus infection.  My pep slowly drained as the game wound down.  Despite the loss, they had a great season and some crucial wins the past few weeks. 

I rounded out the weekend with a shorter road trip to Bloomington to watch the Auburn Lady Tigers play Indiana University.  Megan was happy to join me again, despite her being a Purdue graduate.  She bravely wore her Purdue sweatshirt over her Auburn T-shirt (we only heard one comment as we walked through Assembly Hall).  Again, we had great seats and enjoyed a victory – Megan and my first road win!  I can’t remember how many times we’ve traveled to Lexington to watch a lopsided loss.  Not fun. 

Pre-game excitement
I'm ready coach! 

Victory selfie outside Assembly Hall!  #wareagle #boilerup

That rounds out my Auburn trifecta.  Two in person games and one on TV in five days.  Not too shabby.  It’s great to be an Auburn Tiger!  War Eagle!    

No comments:

Post a Comment