Thursday, July 8, 2010

#93 Bike Virginia 2010

I returned to Virginia for Bike Virginia 2010. This time we started in Staunton and also spent time in Harrisonburg. It was HOT. We rode through the Shenandoah Valley along the Blue Ridge Mountains. I met up with Steve again.



Unfortunately Bruce wasn't able to make it.



A few highlights:

The first two nights we stayed at a middle school in Staunton. The showers were nice and we did have warm water but...the shower head came to my belly button. Not kidding. I had to squat to wash my hair. I don't remember middle school kids being that short.

Thanks to Steve I now have a fake name ready to use at a hotel if I ever become famous. You will have to ask me about it. It was featured on South Park. If any female readers out there need a fake name, might I suggest Miss Hussey. She is a teacher at the Staunton middle school.

I got turned around about three times over six days so vowed to buy a GPS when I got home. Haven't yet, but am looking.

Steve and I watched a group of high schoolers at Point Guard College while at the campus of Eastern Mennonite University. I asked one of the counselors for a t-shirt but came up empty handed. Apparently he didn't think a 6'6" woman wearing a Point Guard College t-shirt was good advertising.

I learned the difference between llamas and alpacas http://www.mountairyalpacas.com/llama.html. Some of us stopped to take pictures of these alpacas. The owner ended up getting his camera to take pictures of us!



I broke the law twice by exceeding the speed limit on my bike. Once I was going 35 in a 30 and another time I was going about 28 in a 25. Woo hooo!!

I visited with Kelly and Mary on the front and back end of my bike adventure. It is always great to see them. We spent time at the Charlottesville downtown mall and I brought them good parking luck when we ate at Fry's Spring Station, a new pizza place there that is in an old gas station. Very cool place and very good pizza. And only four parking spots.



A couple comments I heard while riding:
- "I'm in awe of the size of your frame every time I see you." Hmmm, MY frame or my bike frame?

- "Where were you when I was your age?" Said by a 60-ish gentleman. In high school, sir.

All-in-all, I had a wonderful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment