Monday, June 24, 2019

#478 The Year of 50: Live from New York...I'm 50!












October is one of my favorite months, not only because it’s my birthday month, but I love Halloween.  I’m not into the spooky/scary stuff so much, I just love a chance to dress up and act silly.  Halloween is my perfect excuse.    

I’ve attended my share of Halloween parties.  Once I went to a party with my friend Alyce and didn’t know a soul, which was convenient because that year I dressed up as Mary Katherine Gallagher and fell down all night showing my underwear to strangers. 

Image result for mary katherine gallagher falling down

With this being a 50th birthday party, my costume had to be another Molly Shannon creation - Sally O'Malley.  I've loved her for so many years and was so excited to actually be her AND be 50.  

This was my first Halloween/birthday party to throw on my own.  What fun!  Thank you to my brother and sister-in-law (Paul and Lori) for allowing me to have the party at their house.  My house would have been a bit crowded. 

Finger cookies

Had to have bat cookies!



That's one big spider! 
I invited a mix of family, work friends, high school friends, and other “new” friends thrown in for good measure.  It couldn’t have gone any better.  I suggested folks dress up as Saturday Night Live characters.  I’m not a dictator and didn’t demand it.  The majority complied.  Several came in their own creations.  A few didn’t dress up at all.  The main thing is that they came and I greatly appreciated it. 

Taylor (we need more cowbell!) and Megan (Dooneese)

Wayne and Karen

Cat lady Lisa

Kelly (Lisa Loopner) and Jimmy (Todd DiLaMuca)

Julie (Ruth Bader Ginsberg)

Liam (Jack Jack) and Trina (Evelyn Deavor)

Linda (Sally O'Malley), Paul and Lori (cheeburger cheeburger)

Linda and Vivian

Krista (Collette Reardon) and Kenny

Warren Central "gang" throwing our sign




The biggest surprise of the night was my parents.  All week they said they wouldn’t make it.  Their excuses?  It was too late.  Too far to drive.  Too dark.  Etc.  The doorbell rang, I opened the door, and it took me a minute to recognize them.  My dad dressed up as a patient, and my mom dressed as a caregiver.  (Kind-of swapping places.)  Hilarious!  Must be where I get my love of costume from. 


What a way to cap my Year of 50.  I am blessed beyond measure with a wonderful family and an amazing group of friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment