Sunday, August 17, 2014

#384 The Bachelorette

Hi rose lovers!  I recently finished watching the latest season of The Bachelorette and am now plunging into the mind-numbing show that is Bachelor In Paradise, so thought I’d channel my inner bachelorette for this post.  I am a bachelorette, as you know. 

I have watched every episode of The Bachelor, The Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad.  Now they are airing Bachelor In Paradise.  What is this world coming to?  And why do I keep watching?  It’s just too fascinating to not watch.  And in a small way I’m living vicariously through these people.  While watching the beginning of the past Bachelorette season with Andi, I remember thinking, “I could never walk into a room of 25 random guys and think one of them could be my husband.”  Why not?  Because 25 random guys would be too short for me.  Truth. 

So I set off on my summer hoping once again that I would meet someone to have some summer fun with.  Lo and behold, I did!  Here’s the story.   

I was preparing for my first bike ride of the summer (Post #378) when I received an email from a former co-worker about a guy she currently works with.  He complained to her that he never meets any tall women.  He’s 6’8”.  She told him about me and eventually we got each other’s emails.  We emailed, talked and then met for a date.  It went very well.  Then I promptly left for a week for vacation. 

While at Bike Virginia (I haven’t posted anything on this ride yet) I met two more tall guys.  When it rains, it pours, right?  One was 6’6” and 290 (big boy) and 55.  He lives in North Carolina.  The other looked like he was in his late 40s maybe early 50s (I’m a terrible judge of age sometimes), 6’4”-ish and from Virginia.  I spent part of two days riding with each.  Both are attractive and very nice.  But I had such a great time with Bachelor No. 1, I played it cool with Nos. 2 and 3.  (Bachelor No. 2 was pretty forward.  No. 3 was pretty low key himself and just said if I was ever in Virginia again to give him a call.)  So Bachelor No. 1, will you accept this rose? 

He did, for a while.  We saw each other pretty much every weekend, despite our busy schedules.  Then I left for camp and things got weird.  I let him know that I wouldn’t be able to use my phone around the campers so would be incommunicado.  His response (via text):  “It’s ok.  Neither of us will keel over dead.”  (This came three days after us seeing each other and everything being hunky dory.)  Okaaay.  I could read the writing on the wall (I’m not stupid) but I played it off.  I sent some “test” texts a couple times at camp and got very blunt responses so finally asked what was wrong.  He was “a little unsure of things” and said we could talk when I got home.  After I got home he asked if we could wait until early the following week (last week).  Well, it’s now the beginning of the next week and I haven’t heard a peep.  Apparently he doesn’t want another rose.  I admit that I’m disappointed he didn’t bother to discuss his unsureness with me, but I’m fine with it.  Closure is overrated. 

After we had been dating about a month I asked the Putz (my new name for him) if he was disappointed that I hadn’t written a blog about him yet.  (He told me he’d read/skimmed my entire blog before we actually met.  He found it googling me.)  He said no, that I only blogged about guys after breaking up and he didn’t want to jinx anything.  Since he had no desire to man up and talk to me about why he didn’t want to date me anymore, I’m sure he’s not reading my blog anymore either.  But just in case he is, here is my message to him:  It’s ok, I won’t keel over dead. 

Which brings me to Bachelor No. 2 (Tarheel).  He has called me periodically after Bike Virginia.  I told him about the Putz after I got home and things had continued to go well with him, and that we could be friends.  (I am a one-at-a-time kind of gal.)  Tarheel is nice and cute, and he bikes.  But we live in different states and only spent a day together, so there is a lot to learn about him.  Time will tell. 

Stay tuned, rose-lovers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment