Friday, February 8, 2013

#334 The Gong Show

The Gong Show was a television show that aired beginning in the late 70s. It was basically “America’s Got Talent”, but with a gong. There was a panel of celebrity judges each week and if they didn’t like a performer’s “talent” they would hit a gong to make them leave the stage.

This morning I had my own gong show. There is a woman at my gym that I frequently see and she also teaches yoga. This morning she asked me to participate in a “gong thing”. I had no idea what that meant, but she said it would only last five minutes, so why not? After I finished my workout and stretching, I met her and a few others in the yoga room. We lay down on a mat with our arms stretched out like a cross. She told us to breathe deeply and then proceeded to hit a large gong that was the size of a bicycle wheel.

At first it wasn’t bad. Then it got really loud. So loud that I was tempted to put a finger in my ear that was closest to the gong. I didn’t want to offend her, so I refrained. Eventually, the gonging got softer and we were done. Interesting.

After my shower the woman happened to be in the same locker room area and of course, she asked me what I thought. I told the truth: It was ok, but it was a bit loud for me. So then I asked her where one buys a gong. She knows another yoga instructor who knows a gong dealer. Be clear on your pronunciation of that!

She also mentioned teaching a gong class at another facility that lasts 20 minutes. Let’s just say that if I was a celebrity judge during a 20-minute gong show, I would definitely gong the gong.

No comments:

Post a Comment