Friday, July 17, 2020

#491 Who Let The Cat Out?


 I don’t have any pets.  It’s not that I don’t like animals – I love them!  But I have been known to say, “I like other people’s pets.”  I grew up with pets that lived inside of a bowl.  When I was around 10, I found a puppy down the street and my mom let me take him home until we found a home for him.  He whined so much, especially in the mornings when he needed to go out.  I hate to admit that I was relieved when he was gone.  Apparently sleep outweighed cuteness.  Occasionally someone will tell me I need a dog or a cat.  Selfishly I don’t want to have to be home at certain times to let out a dog.  Cats take care of themselves, but there’s still food and vet bills.  So I continue to enjoy other people’s pets. 

While Aaron and Tracy were on their honeymoon, I looked in on their two cats, Butler and Lulu.  Butler, Aaron’s cat, is friendly and snuggly.  (His name comes from the fact that he looks like a butler.)  Tracy’s cat, Lulu, likes to be left alone.  Each night after work I stopped at their house to get the mail and hang out for a while. 

I will admit it was nice to have “someone” to come home to.  Butler was happy to see me and we’d snuggle in the recliner for a while before I’d let him out.  (He is like a dog in that sense.)  He’d purr, lick my fingers, bite my jewelry and then just chill.  I’d let him outside, read my book and about 10 minutes later I would hear a faint scraping sound, which was him wanting back in.  I was a little nervous he wouldn’t come back, but he has a Tabcat pet tracker on his collar.  Even though I don’t really know how to use it.  Lulu made a couple appearances, but when she saw me, immediately went back to the bedroom. 

The week went smoothly.  Butler usually stayed outside no longer than 10 minutes due to the cold temperatures.  After that he’d hang out with me while I read, and I’d head home after about 30-45 minutes. 


Sunday, my last day checking on them, was a lot warmer – in the 60s and sunny.  I stopped on my way to a meeting and of course, when I had to be somewhere, Butler didn’t come back in right away.  Ten minutes.  Fifteen minutes.  Twenty minutes.  I opened the front and back doors and called for him.  Then I Googled the Tabcat thing and watched a video on how it works.  The lights flash more the closer you get to the cat.  Thankfully, Butler returned and I had plenty of time to get to my meeting. 

I’m back to being on my own.  I do miss that little furball.  Maybe one day I won’t be so selfish with my time or money.  Or I’ll marry someone with a pet.  Until then, I’ll have to wait a while to get more kitty snuggles.  

Butler likes a high perch


No comments:

Post a Comment