Monday, April 6, 2020

#486 Trashy Women


There is a bridged intersection near my house that I have passed (driving and walking) countless times over the past 20 years.  The bridge passes over a creek.  What should be a beautiful area of water and trees is an eyesore.  Litter is strewn along the side of the street and is embedded in the surrounding brush and trees. 

The thought has crossed my mind now and then to pick up the trash.  I’m embarrassed to admit that I have never actually done it.  Why?  I forget by the time I get home. I’m out walking and don’t make the time to stop and pick up crap. 

Being “trapped” in a house during a pandemic makes you think about things differently.  Why not now?  I took a break from my walking routine and decided to finally pick up some trash. 

Like with any seemingly well-made plan, obstacles arose.  I soon realized that I didn’t have any trash bags.  Big problem.  I have 12-gallon kitchen trash bags, but have been meaning to get yard bags for a couple months.  In the winter I don’t use them and the task kept moving down my priority list.  I was determined to get out there, and as I stood in my garage searching the shelves, I spotted a trash bag filled with old bicycle tubes.  Success!  I pulled the tubes out, grabbed my garden gloves and rake and was on my way. 

I told myself I would work until I filled up my one, lonely trash bag.  I chose one small area that descended to the creek.  What a mess!  It took me an hour to clean up that one spot and fill the bag.  What a difference!  My back was not happy, but my heart sure was. 

Before

After
Why did I want to do this? For my neighborhood.  For the environment.  Pain and simple – I hate litter.  I’ve jokingly told friends that if I was in the Miss America pageant, my platform would be litter.  It amazes me that people are so lazy that they can’t take their trash home to dispose of it.  It’s not that hard, people! 

Next time (there will be a next time), I will have more bags.  I’ll ditch the rake and bring a garden kneeling pad.  I’ll also drive my car close to the area – I walked and then had to carry the bag back to my house.  It was a lot heavier than I expected! 

Some women resent being called “trashy.”  I suppose I would if it was in the usual context of the word.  As a country music fan, I take a little different spin on the description.  If someone happens to see me picking up litter on the side of the road and calls me trashy – so be it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment